Ingredients: Makes 4
- 1 tbsp caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 4 medium egg whites
- 150ml custard
- 85g fruitcake – Christmas cake or pudding, crumbled
- Butter – for greasing
- Caramel sauce / fresh cranberries to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180C and place in your baking tray to heat up.
- Grease 4 x 150ml ramekins, then add some sugar to each and shake to coat before tipping out the excess.
- Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks, then add the sugar and continue whisking until stiff again.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the custard and crumbled Christmas cake.
- Stir in a quarter of the egg whites, and very gently fold in the rest using a big metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins – make sure there’s a 1cm gap at least at the very top for it to rise.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden.
- Serve with a dusting of icing sugar, fresh cranberries and cream – a warm caramel sauce also goes brilliantly.